Divine Cyborgs – an updated explanation
This project is growing organically in an interesting way. Here I give an update what it is all about and what has been done so far. Some parts you can find in previous posts of this blog and others here https://karlakracht.com/cyborg/
Here a descriptive video of past chapters
Divine cyborg is a series of imaginative goddesses, based on ancient regional values and myths that are combined with contemporary and futuristic symbology and technology.
Departing from local elements, stories, books, histories, songs, crafts, those goddesses are constructed or better said, reborn, in the culture we inhabit. It is here where they gain special significance to each of us, confronting our present with our most ancestral beginnings.
I call them Cyborg Goddess. Half human, half machine. And fully techno-spiritual.
This project contains different chapters that are being developed in places and formats as diverse as:
- An interactive hand woven tapestry in a remote village in Bolivia
- A mural painting on a multicultural island in Malaysia
- A mural painting outside a Quechua village in Bolivia
- A ceramic sculpture in a fishing town in Latvia…
- Machine embroidered patches made in industrial neighbourhood in Cochabamba
- A mural painting on a rooftop in Barcelona
- Dozens of drawings from around the world
- A limited edition of Silk Screen Printed drawings.
- A small sized electronic ceramic sculpture in a heavily industrial neighbourhood in Barcelona
- An almost human size bust with lights in a town in Taiwan shattered by violence during Japanese occupation (part of the performance Divine Cyborg #17 – dancing with the ghosts)
- A Frankensista goddess for Aruma to protect their electric garden
- A Frankensista goddess for Karla to walk with her on the milky way
In 2020 I have been 8 months in residency in Taiwan, to dive deeper into the Taiwanese culture, philosophy and religious beliefs, of indigenous and non indigenous habitats. Here I developed a Live Cinema Performance, featuring the Baghua Goddess and a variety of cyborgs, guardians and other beings.